Friends, you are in for a real treat. If you’re looking for a Dutch Oven French Toast recipe, this one is perfect! I took our original recipe for Caramel Apple French Toast and turned it into a Dutch Oven dish that you are going to absolutely love. The dutch oven turns this dish into something really special and one you can take with you on your next camping trip. You can even choose to leave the apples out if you are not a fan of apples. But, don’t leave out the caramel. Trust me.
Dutch Oven French Toast
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled and diced
- 1 loaf french bread, torn or cut into chunks
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a small saucepan, combine syrup ingredients until sugar is melted and the mixture is smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Combine the apples and the caramel syrup into a plastic container and store in the fridge or a cooler overnight.
- Mix the eggs, milk, and vanilla in a large plastic container. Add the french bread and toss together to combine and coat the bread. Top with cinnamon and cover with a lid. Store in the fridge or a cooler overnight.
- Line a Dutch oven with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Pour the apples and caramel syrup into the bottom of the pan. Spread around to evenly distribute.
- Dump the bread mixture on top of the apples and spread around to evenly distribute. Top with cinnamon.
- Cover Dutch oven with lid and place the entire oven on top of 10 prepared coals and place 16 coals on top of the Dutch oven. Cook for 40 minutes or until apples are cooked.