Who doesn’t love a good overnight French toast, right? Even though this comforting dish isn’t really French, we feel like we’re eating something really special. This is one of those dishes we serve Christmas morning or when it’s someone’s turn to choose their favorite dish. I make when I know we’re going to want to have a relaxing morning, but want to have something yummy and comforting. I can get this dish prepared the night before, let it soak overnight, put the final touches on it in the morning, and pop it in the oven. We also love this dish when the apples are plentiful during harvest season in the fall. It has that delicious caramel apple flavor that is so familiar in the fall.
This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through any of the links to products provided, I will earn a small commission. For which I will use to continue bringing delicious treats to you and your family, and providing tips and tricks to simplify your home. For more information please see our disclosure policy.
Want to take this recipe camping? Check out our Dutch Oven Caramel Apple French Toast!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled and diced
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced thick
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a small saucepan, combine syrup ingredients until sugar is melted and the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Pour the syrup into the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
- Place apples on top of the syrup.
- Arrange French bread slices on top of the apples and syrup.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, and vanilla. Pour the mixture over the french bread, apples, and syrup.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon. Cover the 9x13 pan tightly with aluminum foil. Place in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Remove the french toast from the fridge and remove the aluminum foil.
- Flip all of the french toast slices over. I do this because sometimes the tops dry out overnight and I like them all soaked with the egg/milk mixture.
- Sprinkle again with cinnamon. Place in the preheated oven for 35 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- Serve warm, drizzled with the extra caramel syrup from the bottom of the pan.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Lasagna Baker
- Wooden Slotted Spoon
- Cutting Boards
- Stainless Steel Knife Set with Block - 13 Kitchen Knives Set Chef Knife Set with Knife Sharpener, 6 Steak Knives, Bonus Peeler Scissors Cheese Pizza Knife and Acrylic Stand by Home Hero
- Wooden Spatula
- OXO Good Grips 11-Inch Better Balloon Whisk
- Klee 6-Piece Premium Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls.75 Qt, 1.5 Qt, 3 Qt, 4 Qt, 5 Qt, 8 Qt
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 2 slices
Amount Per Serving Calories 638Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 201mgSodium 741mgCarbohydrates 94gFiber 3gSugar 51gProtein 17g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated. It is provided as an estimate only.